Friday, July 30, 2010

I KID



All my life, I have been around a certain type of people with a special calling. These special people are clowns.Clowning has been around for thousands of years.

I know deep in my heart, that clowning is my calling. I haven't been clowning very long and I am still learning as I go. My alter ego is a happy hobo named, Steamboat Joe. Besides bringing joy and laughter to kids and adults; I also want to share the gospel of Jesus Christ and perform for people that are sick or may be dying.

I know a child hospitalized due to some form of illness can relate to me. I am on a ventilator and I am in wheelchair too. Plus, I am eye level with them. I am not standing over them.

Yes, clowns can be scary to some people. I know how to handle myself in that type of situation. I am not going out without any preparation, but so far, knock on my wooden head, that situation has not happened.

Once I dressed up and visited some of the residents at Rockcastle Regional. I knew it would be good practice and fun for everyone. Most residents knew me, for I had lived there with them for so many years ad I still do. However, some of the newer residents did not know me, and I did not know them either. I went with God in my heart and a smile on my face. Everyone I saw glowed with big smiles on their faces. It felt so good, it felt so right. It was truly amazing and to me, it was even spiritual.

One of the residents that I saw that day, was a friend I met many years ago at Rockcastle Regional. She looked at me with the biggest grin I ever saw and then she laughed.

Then she said, "Look at you, Joe."

Then she laughed a little with her big grin.

"I think you're crazy", she said." But you look beautiful."

To me, she looked beautiful with her smile. I could not help but think to myself, the way she lays in her hospital bed full of pain and sickness, yet by the glory of God; seeing a little clown, maybe for just a second she was relieved of her symptoms! Then I understood the real healing power of God and how laughter is the best medicine. A few weeks later, my friend, Connie passed away. I believe no matter how big a clown smiles, sometimes he is weeping under his smile.

In the words of a personal hero of mine and a fellow clown, Red Skelton, "Good night and may God bless."















Sha Vanorsdale with Steamboat Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment